- Here's one blogger's guess at what the Connors' house layout was like. From season 10, we now know the layout is somewhat different that we thought, since it was always assumed there was a Jack and Jill bathroom upstairs.
- From the same fella, exterior shots of the house in Indiana.
- Queen SJ was struggling to think of the ubiqutious "Jazz" Solo cups.
- The title of the show is a reference to the country song made famous by Tammy Wynette.
- Here's a little history about how the song came about.
- "D-I-V-O-R-C-E" (the song) was written by smash-hit writer Bobby Braddock, quoted above. If you want to take an interesting deep dive about what makes old country music so darn sad, we recommend "The King of Tears" from Malcolm Gladwell's Revisionist History podcast.
Queen SJ did some vaguespeculating about a "Western" trend surging in the late 1980s, spurred by a discussion of Jackie's style and based on her memories of what was happening at that time in popular culture.
- At the movies in 1988, we had Lonesome Dove, Young Guns, Billy the Kid, and The Milagro Beanfield War. On TV, there was Lonesome Dove (again) and The Young Riders. A quick eyeball shows there weren't substantially more westerns released in the late 80s than the early 80s.
- Proto/alt country singer kd lang releases her first album in 1988.
- Cowboy Curtis sang for us on Pee-wee's Playhouse.
- But not much on the clothing front. Anyone know what the deal was with Jackie's wardrobe? We're dying to know!
So, Queen SJ was probably writing a check her ass couldn't cash with that one, not an unusual occurrence. But we still love the Rodeo shirt!
Welcome to the Alicia Goranson Appreciation Corner!
- We discovered Alicia has a movie dropping in May called Hurricane Bianca: From Russia with Hate. It stars Bianca Del Rio, winner of the sixth season of RuPaul's Drag Race. The supporting cast includes Rachel Dratch, Kristen Johnston, and Wanda Sykes.
- Alicia also had a very cool old-school blog called Don't Shoot the Messenger.
- If you want to get Becky's look, may we suggest checking your pupils? If they look ok, then maybe you can check out The Official Preppy Handbook.